Saturday, January 29, 2011

From the Blogger Formerly Known As Meaghan


Thursday morning we packed up and left Hotel Moderno in Madrid.  We set of for Toledo, known as the Imperial City.  After an hour long bus ride, we entered Toledo, but then drove outside of the city to a viewing point in the mountains surrounding the city.  We took some pictures and admired the city as whole, and then got back on the bus to explore the different parts of the city.  Toledo is very hilly, because of its location in the mountains.  A few years ago, escalators were built into the hillside so that people wouldn’t have to climb so many stairs.  It is very funny to be driving through a city admiring its old world feel, and then come across an escalator.  We got off the bus for a walking tour; it was cold and drizzly, and our tour guide started our tour telling us that she was really excited because we had great weather for exploring the city. 
The city was once the location of three distinct religious groups: Christians, Jews, and Muslims.  It was always a peaceful city, even throughout the periods were any of the religious groups were being persecuted in the rest of the country.  My favorite building was a synagogue that had been built by Moorish architects and later turned into a Catholic church.  It was so amazing to see all three groups of people represented in one building.  The cathedral in the city is the second biggest in Spain, to the cathedral in Sevilla.  It was commissioned by King Ferdinand and Isabella in 1477, as they wished to be buried in Toledo.  However, in 1492 when the reconquista finally took back Granada from the Moors, Ferdinand and Isabella decided to be buried there instead of the Toledo cathedral.  Along the tour we saw many shops selling swords and knives, and the guide explained that the city was known for its steel work.  All of the swords used in the Lord of the Rings movies were from Toledo.  For lunch we went to a restaurant called “Café and Té” and I tried paella verduras, which is paella and different kinds of vegetables.  It was very good, and I successfully managed to avoid the vegetables in which was even better.
After we finished our tour and lunch in Toledo we got back on the bus for a five hour ride to Granada.  It was long, but the scenery was beautiful, and it was nice to rest.  Driving into Granada was a bit confusing.  I was sure the driver had taken us to the wrong place.  The first thing I saw was a Toys R’ Us, and then a Ford motors.  This was not the Granada I had pictured.  As we drove I realized that Granada is a much busier city then I was expecting it to be.  We finally got to the place where our host families would pick us up around 9 pm.  It was very overwhelming trying to get everybody’s luggage organized and then to match them up with their families.  My roommate Olivia and I live with a host mom, Ana Maria.  When I first met her, she did the kiss on each cheek, which I had been expecting, but I was surprised by it all the same.  We walked to her apartment, and it didn’t take long to realize that she spoke no English. 
We reintroduced ourselves in the less chaotic setting of the apartment.  Ana Maria loved Olivia’s name and it sounds beautiful when she says it.  Meaghan, however, is far too Irish a name for the Spanish people to say.  Therefore, Meaghan no longer exists.  When Ana Maria first told me she was changing my name, she said she was going to call me Maggie, but she actually calls me Margarita which I think is very pretty.  Ana Maria made us a frozen pizza that had ham on it (they love ham here), and explained that she was a vegetarian and did not eat meat.  She seemed to enjoy the pizza though, so I’m thinking ham doesn’t count.  Maybe she took the ham off when I was paying attention?  The apartment is freezing, because they do not use central heat.  I always thought my house was freezing in the winter, but I don’t think I will ever complain again.  At least it is heated.  It is very strange staying with somebody I don’t know.  Ana Maria is very nice, and extremely welcoming, but I feel out of place. 
There is definitely a language barrier between us and our host mom.   She has so much patience with us, and encourages us to talk to her by asking questions and telling us about Granada.  Ana Maria has lived in Spain for five years, and each year has taken in students.  She told us that each one has come in at about the same level we are at, and by the time they leave they are fluent.  I almost always understand what she is saying, but responding is difficult.  She told me I do well with the language, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement. 
Yesterday we were able to tour the city with API.  They showed us where we will be taking classes, at the Universidad de Granada, in the CLM building.  The building has a beautiful indoor patio, and is very nice.  We also saw the cathedral in Granada, and other parts of the city.  I still have yet to see the Alhambra.  This morning Olivia and I went for a walk to look for it, but with no luck.  I think we are going out again this afternoon to try and get a good view.  Granada is beautiful, even if it is not what I expected.  I know that soon I will feel very comfortable here, both when going into the city, and in the apartment with Ana Maria.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Margarita. That's good. Maybe that's Spanish for Meaghan anyway. Good to hear you won't be complaining about our cold house any more. Maybe Emily & Mommy can come visit you and there will be no complaining next winter. I'm sure you'll continue to improve at the language. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog Margarita!!! I can't believe how much new food you are trying. Can't wait to see some pictures of Granada. Love you talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY Meg, yes i am still going to call you Meaghan!! You sound like you are really enjoying yourself! I am really enjoying reading about your adventures uncle Anthony and I will only get to Spain through you so keep telling us about it! Be safe, love your Pezza family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ham comment cracked me up... it truly is an obsession over there. Have you seen one of the ham stores yet where they hang the ham from the ceiling? Truly disgusting.

    ReplyDelete